Sunday, January 17, 2010

An Independent woman and her Hunky husband

At a very young age I married quite the hunk who takes good care of me, my girls and my home.  Over the years we have defined our strengths, weaknesses and those things we rely on the other to do.  I always thought I was independent but when he is gone I realize that I have spent the better part of the past 21+ years relying heavily on him for many things.  Although it seems every time he leaves town for business or pleasure I am forced to stretch my independence muscle and make sure I know how to do things on my own.  In the past I have had flat tires (I know how to change tires but it would have been my first inclination to call in the hunky husband); the furnace has gone out and required me to stoke the wood stove all night for a week (another hunk duty along with gathering the wood from the spider infested wood pile); and water heater malfunctions which sent me to the athletic club for a shower one too many times.  So you see opportunities often arise allowing me to practice a few of the things I often leave for that hunk of a man I call husband. 

Looks like I am due for some more stretching this week since the hunk will be away and we are expecting three to five feet of snow from three consecutive storms.  Thanks to advance warnings, the hunk spent a better part of his weekend getting me ready through quick tutorials on how to run the snow thrower and the generator (heaven forbid the electricity goes out for an extended amount of time), making sure everything was fueled with some to spare, organizing the garage so I can get the snow thrower out without denting a vehicle or two, making sure I know where all the gas vents are so we don't get carbon monoxide poisoning if the snow gets too deep, and making sure the neighbors know I may need some help. The last one gave my pride a little jab but I am sure I will be glad if I end up needing a neighbor to step in and rescue me.  I have contemplated getting in the car and going to my mom's for the week (where it never snows) but part of me wants to scream from the roof top, "Bring it on. I am an independent woman. Hear me roar."  Yeah, we'll see how the first storm goes maybe flying south will start to look more enticing and my roar will be silenced.  Anyway, I need to find a way to thank my hunk of a husband for all the love he shows through his actions.  I caught a good one all those years ago, don't you agree?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kadi said...

Dione, You caught the best! Second only to one! We both scored big! We all know what a woman you are so if you abandon ship for sunnier skies, no one will think any less of you! Love ya!

January 18, 2010 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Bailee said...

I wish I was there to enjoy the interesting adventures! I love you guys! Can't wait to see you next week:)

January 18, 2010 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger Danica said...

It's been 21 years?! Wow, time flies! There is nothing like a little time appart to appriciate eachother more. :)

January 18, 2010 at 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home